In Our Genes is a national program, offered by Willow Breast Cancer Support Canada, dedicated to providing peer support and credible information targeted to the individual needs of anyone at risk, or affected by, hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC). The program was created so that no one with a family history of cancer, a gene mutation or a hereditary cancer diagnosis needs to face it alone.
Willow offers a number of free services for high risk individuals and their families:
- Peer support: connects people with a BRCA mutation carrier or breast cancer survivor trained in providing peer support who understands the impact of a diagnosis and offers information, emotional support and encouragement
- Information services: offers personalized, current and credible information on all aspects of HBOC
- Inourgenes.ca: a website for the HBOC community providing quality resources and links to a vast number of reputable online sources. Read our comprehensive guide to “Cancer in the Family: What You Need to Know” or download Fact Sheets about Genetic Counselling, Genetic Testing and Informing Adult Family Members about Your Genetic Test Results.
- BRCA BUZZ: An e-newsletter for high risk individuals with the latest research, personal interest articles and local events
- BRCA Chat Peer Support Groups: give women who are BRCA-positive the opportunity to meet as equals to give each other support
- Community Support Program: gives high risk women the knowledge and tools necessary to start and sustain community-based support groups
- Translation: free interpreter services for individuals wishing to speak in their language of choice during a support call